Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wowee Wednesday

Glee Someone in the TV biz took pity on me and the fact that I only watch HGTV, X-Play, and Damages due to the fact that there is a lot of shitty-shit on the tube nowadays. That's right the extent of my television entertainment involves home repair/design, gaming news, and a frightening and enthralling story about a maniacal lawyer in New York. Yeah. I needed something new, fresh and musical. Enter Glee (cue angels singing)
Glee celebrates that inner geek in all of us through the efforts of a hopeful young high school teacher trying to make a difference in the lives of a few misfit kids by breathing life into the defunct Glee Club.

Watching one hour of this show and I don't know how a viewer can escape from finding their high school selves in at least one of the characters. It is my hope that you weren't a bully, cuz let's be honest, bullies aren't nice.

I know that watching this show makes me realize that even though I was one of the popular kids in high school, I also felt like one of the misfits. That's the great thing about Glee: as an adult, you realize that no matter our status, inside we all feel a bit inferior and like an outcast.

Glee is sprinkled with music from all eras, including...wait for it...Broadway! Two shows in and we've heard everything from show tunes to disco, and Rhianna to Salt-n-Pepa. A special nod to theatre geeks is given as the cast includes many actors who have recently graced the stage on Broadway. The brains behind this show knew what they were doing when the cast Lea Michele from Spring Awakening and Matthew Morrison from Hairspray and South Pacific in pivotal roles. Fierce and loyal fans have already formed a following called "Gleeks" on Twitter and Facebook. Aww Internet, look at you bringing outcasts together...
Did I mention that someone at Fox was brilliant enough to woo the incredible Jane Lynch to star as the coach for the cheer leading squad known as the Cheerios? Brills! We have watched both episodes twice just to experience the comedy gold that Jane brings to the screen.

Glee lights up the screen Wednesdays at 9pm on Fox. Tonight is the third episode, so you are not too far behind. Tune in!

1 comment:

Bren B said...

I just watched the second episode last night and Glee is MY new favorite show. Watched the pilot a few months ago and really liked it. I think we were separated at birth... :)